Wednesday, June 24, 2009

When people ask me what you believe in, I say I believe in many things. But, when they say what do you believe in with a passion? one thing comes to mind, RESPECT. Growing up my dad always said you must earn respect because it's never given to you. That made me question myself;how do you gain respect? I began doing little things such as looking others in the eyes when being spoken to or cleaning up after a mess I've made at someone Else's house. These acts show that I have respect for myself and respect for others. I have grown accustomed to being respectful to my peers and this has gotten me a long way such as being in the starting line-up for my basketball team or being able to get the opportunity to be in the People Program. Respect was nothing more than just a word when growing up, but now everything I do revolves around it and makes me grow into a young man who is respected by all around me.

Me being a short guy makes it hard for people to respect me as a young man, they see me as a little immature kid, but I'm much more. When people get to know me they say, "That kid is really mature and shows that he demands respect." I have always been determined to gain the respect of my peers and show them that I mean business. Every school year when I meet a new teacher, I am determined to show them that I want a lot out of my education and that I am striving for a bright future. I show these teachers that I will become a successful young man and take advantage of my education. My parents have always stressed having a good education and that is why it is one of my strong morals. I that respect is the key to success. I have learned that if you gain the respect of those who are known to have made it far in life, it opens many doors for you and helps create a bright future for you also. This is why I believe in RESPECT.



6 comments:

  1. i feel that respect is a very important thing in life, especially in today's society and Im glad that not only do you show respect you give it as well and datz hard for some ppl to do so I commend you on that

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow i like this one, real talk. i can definitely agree 100%. with the parents and everything. i have shown many people who ... stereotype me as being "ghetto" or however they want to label me, i show them that i'm for real about my stuff and i WILL make it, perhaps maybe farther than they ever have. i demand that respect from people and not only that, but i do give it immensely as well. you have the same mindset as i do and we are definitely eye to eye. i likes it though =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not agree with you more Respect is something that all kids should grow up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Can you think of one, very specific story, that really taught you that respect is the very most important thing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. r-e-s-p-e-c-t! what a great subject to pick (wish i would have thought of it) you have a great start here i like that you can speak about your own matureness without sounding cocky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah yea respect is usually good. cept sometimes if ur not careful u can find urself being walked all over or giving out wat some dont deserve. but yea respect is good in most instances in my opinion

    ReplyDelete